Mcleodganj is a Buddhist spiritual retreat and famous as a pilgrimage site. This place, known as the Little Lhasa, is the best place to offer the best of both worlds.
In other words, you can connect with both nature and God.
India’s most popular vacation destinations.
The Dalai Lama established the Tibetan Government in Exile here in Dharamsala, making the quaint little town of McLeod Ganj his permanent residence.
Mcleodganj has a lot to offer to tourists, from Mcleodganj attractions to many adventure hubs. Mcleodganj is the base camp for Triund Trek and hosts one of the most fascinating and interesting trekking in the country. Mcleodganj is a must-see and one of the best destinations for an adventurous journey in the Himalayas.
How to reach?
Mcleodganj is found in Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh at a distance of seven kilometers from Dharamshala, 250 kilometers from Chandigarh and 480 kilometers from Delhi.
Delhi is the closest major international airport that is well connected from anywhere. The closest airports to Mcleodganj are Kangra and Gagar airports. You can hire a taxi to reach Mcleodganj. Next to Delhi, Chandigarh is the closest major airport.
The closest train stations to Mcleodganj are Pathankot Junction and Kangra Mandir train stations. Pathankot Train Station is 90 km away. Taxis and buses are readily available from this point.
The Mcleodganj bus station has good connections with buses from all major cities. Himachal Roadways and Himachal Tourism operate regular buses from Kashmere Gate ISBT Delhi and from Dharamsala to McLeodganj.
Moving around Mcleodganj
- Mcleodganj is a very small town and can be easily explored within 30 minutes on foot.
- It takes less than 20 minutes from the main square to Durham Ct, but there are also steep uphill slopes.
- Walking to other places doesn’t take too long, but local transportation is available.
- There are regular buses and shared taxis between Dharamshala and McLeod Ganji.
- Other nearby villages such as Bagus and Durham Ct.
- You can also hire an auto rickshaw to take a full-day sightseeing tour before and after the Rs. Taxi of 500 rupees and about 800 rupees. They will take you to local places like Bagsnag, Dal Lake, Nadi Village, St. John’s Church, Dalai Lama Temple.
- There are also some bike rentals. The normal rate for Enfield. 1000 ~ Rs. 1500 / day, for scooters – Rs. 800 / day
- The Mcleodganj automatic rickshaw stand is just north of the main square. The rickshaw fare is 50 rupees for Bugs and 70 rupees for Durham Cot.
- Also, the taxi stand is very close to the automatic rickshaw stand. Private taxis cost you rupees. 800 rupees to Dharamsala Airport, 4000 rupees for chamber, 5500 rupees for Manari.
What type of Clothes to pack?
From November to March – thick wool clothing, thermal clothing, gloves, warm socks, a thick windbreaker jacket, warm hat and silencer.
For April, May and June – regular cotton and light wool jacket. \
During the monsoon season – clothes that dry quickly (polyester). Mcleodganj is best explored on foot, so sturdy, all-terrain waterproof shoes are a prerequisite.
Some of the other items to pack for your trip:
- Documents (any identification card)
- Hygiene and body care
- Sanitary items for women
- Items for personal use
- Personal medical kit
- Prescription medication if taking medication
- Cash like ATMs aren’t really reliable
- Charger & Power Bank
- Umbrella or rain poncho
- Jeans are not recommended for Hiking
- Bugs body of water
- Bhagsunag Temple
- Shiva Cafe
- Sunset purpose
- John of the Church of the geographic region
- Namgyal religious residence
- Kangra Fort
- Maslow Rockcut Temple
- Sitsang depository
- Norbrinka Institute
- Dal lake
- Guna Devi Temple
- Kareri Lake
- Indra Harpas and Minkiani Pass
- Durham Cot
What to try to do in Mcleodganj
- Relax And Luxuriate In
- Attempt Tibetan Food
- Relish The Cultural Show
- Boat Trips
- Move With Folks from totally different countries and cultures
Top 5 tourist attractions
- Bhagsunath Temple
The Bhagsunath Temple is 5,577 feet above sea level and is surrounded by lush greenery. The fountain is sacred and is said to have healing power and medicinal properties. Near this temple is the Bugs Waterfall, a 20-meter-high waterfall surrounded by magnificent cliffs and rock formations. Temple and Bagus Falls come together.
Best time to travel: anytime of the year
It is famous for trekking and is one of the best activities. A 9km hike with breathtaking views of the Moon PeakIndra Pass and definitely offers a wonderful experience. Triund is an ideal picnic spot whose natural atmosphere will surely rejuvenate your senses.
Best Time To Visit: May June
- Namgyal Monastery
It is said to be one of the biggest and magnificent Tibetan monasteries which were set up in the 16th century. The interiors of the monastery are decorated with paintings, sculptures, and idols of Buddha. You can catch a sight of the monks performing their daily chores, a place where they enchant mantras, meditates, and debates. The monastery creates a calm and spiritual atmosphere that attracts tourists.
Best travel time: February June
- Tibet Museum
The Tibet Museum is the official museum of the Information and International Relations Department of the Central Tibetan Government. Close to the popular Dalai Lama Temple, it is widely known as the Tsugragkan. The Tibet Museum spreads awareness of the occupation of Tibet, human rights abuses by China, and how Tibet overcame all other struggles. The interior of the museum is full of exhibitions, workshops, documentary screenings and photographs.
Best travel time: March June
- Durham Cot
Standing on a hill just above MacLeodangaj, Durhamcot is a fascinating spot with beautiful views of the Kangra Valley. Dharamkot is known for the Vipassana Meditation Center, Dhamma Sikhara, and the Sushita Meditation Center, which is the center of Buddhist research and practice in the Mahayana Buddhist tradition of Tibet.
Best time to travel: anytime of the year
Accommodation and other Facilities
Hotels in Mcleodganj
- Bhagsu and Dharmakot are a combination of smaller villages where heaps of people hand-picked to stay as it being less huddled and quieter.
- Each of these places are within walking distance.
- Quieter place within Mcleodganj – on Jogiwara Road.
- For an extended amount, there are several affordable places near Yongling school on Jogiwara Road.
- Each March, the Grand Lama holds an educational session that lasts for 10 days.
- Camp – there isn’t any campground in Mcleodganj but it is on the outskirts around Bhagsa and on the trail of Triund
Hospital / Medical facilitate
There are several hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies.
Mobile Network and data property
Your phone will work fine in Mcleodganj regardless of the network you are on. All service suppliers have sensible property here whereas once you start trekking towards the triund, BSNL alone has the simplest probability of staying.
What to eat Mcleodganj
Out here, you’ll find a selection of authentic Tibetan, Lebanese, Italian, and French cuisines. There are varied bakeries that sell delicious cakes, cookies, and totally different merchandise at really reasonable prices. Then there are several places where you will get an implausible North Indian meal.
Top 5 places to eat
- Four Seasons Cafe
It is customary for its delicious food and unostentatious look. It’s menu may be a mixture of really spectacular Italian and Tibetan cuisine at a reasonable value.
Some famous foods: mixed thukpa, tomato and basil bruschetta, vegetables and vegetable less peaches, deep-fried workers of life, ginger lemon honey tea, chicken saudi men, formaggio food and dish. There are drinks and mocktails as well.
- Green Hotel Restaurant
A romantic getaway at the inexperienced building eating place, it is a foremost stylish place to eat. It has a mesmerizing ambiance. There are comfortable couches and a sunny terrace. An international eating place for travelers serving healthy feeder food and refreshing drinks.
- Shangrila Vegetarian Restaurant
Shangrila may be a pocket-friendly feeder eating place in Mcleodganj that serves its signature Tibetan classics. you will fancy it. Services here, provided by volunteer monks at Gudomed residence, makes this uproarious eating place a special place to satisfy your daily cravings.
- Nick’s Italian Kitchen
Nick’s Italian space is found about to the central sq. of Mcleod Ganj and is one of Dharamsala’s most popular epicurean hangouts. you’ll find the foremost effective Italian food with ample cheese and flavors that you are going to wish to travel again and again. This eating place has wonderful food, which will be one of the reasons to extend your trip. Here you could try recent peaches with homemade flavouring.
- Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen
One amongst Mcleodganj’s illustrious ingestion venues is Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen, the right place to induce the foremost effective pizzas across Dharamshala. Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen is found on Bhajsu Road and offers two levels of attractive surroundings with beautiful views. You Could hang around the bar and enjoy a freshly prepared meal. This wonderful eating place has eighteen entirely different sauces to make your menu dishes delicious and tastier. Whenever you visit Jimmy’s Kitchen, you must try grilled dishes like tomato cream liqueur, chicken food, baked potatoes, and chicken Florence.
Below are some interesting items you can buy at Mcleodganj
- Singing Bowls: These bowls produce a beautiful melody when rubbed with a wooden stick.
- Buddha statue
- Various types of tea such as kangra tea, Tibetan tea, green tea, etc.
- Prayer wheel
- Prayer flag
- Local Tibetan handicrafts
- Decorative frills
- Pearl necklace
- Metal jewelry
- Silk and satin wall hangings
- Fabric photo
- Wool products such as sweaters, scarves and socks
- Place mat
- Ethnic clothing and bedspreads
- Colorful bags and purses
- Handmade diary
- Handmade paper
- Books on Tibetan culture and Buddhism
- Carpets and rugs
- Mandala painting